Skip to main content

Brown Lentils aka Kaali Daal (Pakistani way)

Dal is one my favorite things to cook. In Pakistan, dal is a main dish and the sides for this hearty dish include steaming hot basmati rice, fresh off the stove phulka (light roti), tandoori naan and paapar (crispy crackers). The condiments include achaar, chutney and pickled onion salad.

Pakistani way of cooking this daal makes it creamy and goes very well with spicy BBQ meat.

Note: I soak my dry lentils for minimum of 2 hours.

Ingredients:

1.5 cups of Brown Dal then soak it
1/3 cup chopped red onions
1 tsp garlic/ginger paste
1 tsp cayenne powder
2 tsp of salt
0.5 tsp turmeric powder

Tempering ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp cumin seeds
10 black peppercorns
3 garlic cloves

Method:

I used my instapot to cook the daal. I added daal, onions, cayenne, salt, turmeric, ginger/garlic paste and 3.5 cups of water. I used the pressure cook option for 15 mins and then let it rest for 5-7 mins before I pressurized the pot.

In  a different pot I added butter and melted it on medium heat. Then browned sliced garlic in it, once they were golden I added cumin and black peppercorns fried those off for 30 seconds. Then added that in the cooked daal.

Mix it well and serve with the sides mentioned above.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Before soaking

After cooking :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Double Chocolate Strawberry Cake

I wanted to share a picture of my recent indulgence. This cake takes me back to childhood late Autumn evenings, where adults sipped Chai with delicious cake and us kids just gobbled the cake down. It also reminds me of my mums struggle on hot summer days to beat the cream into whipping cream and it still melted even with a double ice bath. Yes it takes time but just looking at it made all my hard work worth it and yes it is gluten free so i enjoyed every bit of it :)

Kay's Deli Review-Portobello Mushroom Sandwhich

This is my second restaurant/cafe review for the gluten free eating. I know I should do more of these but i don't eat out that much. Kay's Deli is one my favourite places to eat because i can have gluten free deli sandwhiches. It is on William St. in the midst of a lot of Asian/Vietnamese/Chinease restaurants. It's known for its healthy food, fresh juices and smoothies. I LIKE them for gluten free options like soup of the day with gf bread, Quiche, salads, deli sandwiches with gluten free bread. The atmosphere is very comfortable and and warm. The sun shines in during lunch hour whenever its sunny out :). They have wifi for people who want to work, while they eat. They aslo take orders on the phone and get it ready for you to pick up. Portobello Mushroom Sandwhich is one delicious sandwhich. It is vegetarian with a slice of provolone, cucumber, red pepper, red onion, grilled portobello, and sundried tomato relish. The sandwhich comes toasted with a pickle and carrots. It

Haleem - Represents Pakistan's culture (Gluten free :))

Haleem: Threads of beef, a bite of lentils and oats and melody of spices with delicious garnishes. Haleem is a true representation of the subcontinent/Mughal heritage. It is a very well known dish in Lahore, Karachi (Pakistan) and Hyderabad (India).  It has a beautiful golden, dull yellow color, its consistency is very similar to creamy dish of risotto. It’s made with aromatic and hot spices. It is served with crispy fried onions for texture, ginger, lemon juice to cut through the spiced creaminess. An original recipe of haleem requires 16-20 hours of cook time and if you have had that haleem you are one of the lucky ones. My mum used to start cooking it at night so we can have for lunch for the next day. She would brown the meats with garlic ginger and haleem spices like cloves, cardamom, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper. Then she would add soaked lentils and wheat and lots of water in the big pot. She would put the heat on very low temperature, cover the pot and would stick wet